Only for a few days this machine has been locking up once in a while
while reading gmail.  This could be a pretty particular bug, but I
thought I'd ask here if anyone recognizes any of this.
 -mga driver  --- matrox mistique
 -e17
 -recent xorg updates:
    xorg-server
    xorg-x11
    xf86-input-mouse
    xf86-input-keyboard
-often or always with gmail
-firefox or galeon as the browser

These lockups occur when scrolling, either wth the wheel or the sidebar.
Often or usually or always with gmail, scrolling the folderlist.

I had applied a fix of the mga drivers for this card, a very old pci
card, as recommended by Hans-Werner Hilse on teh gentoo-user list in
November 2005.  This fix seems to take care of scrolling issues for
this card, and I have had to apply it every time xf86-mga-driver is
updated or recompiled, during the compilation stage.

I think this unofficial fix may have finally become incompatible with
something, as when I have recompiled the mga drivers without this fix,
the lock up is not happening.

Time for a new video card?  Or can I eke another few months out of this one?

Alan Davis

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> to gentoo-user
         More options     11/20/05