On 6/11/06, Kevin O'Gorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I first guess is to unmerge everything KDE, but even then, I'm not quite
sure what I should emerge in its place.  kde-meta?

Would some kind soul who understands such stuff spell out the steps to get
to a useable and maintainable system.  I no longer have a maintainable one.

Well at this point you need to decide whether you want to continue
with the monolithic builds or move to the split ebuilds.

Continue with monolithic:
+System keeps working, for now.
+Easy to fix current problem.
-No future.  Monolithic builds will probably not be available for KDE 4.x.

Move to monolithic:
+The way of the future.
+Quicker, easier bug fixes.
-Risk (merging might fail for some reason).
-WIll take a while, as you need to recompile a bunch of stuff.

If you decide you want to stay with the monolithic, then just unmerge
everything that portage says is blocking when you try to  merge
kdepim, and then merge kdepim.

If you decide to move to the split ebuilds, you should:

1. Do a quickpkg of

kde-base/kdelibs
kde-base/kdebase
kde-base/kdeaddons
kde-base/kdeadmin
kde-base/kdeartwork
kde-base/kdeedu
kde-base/kdegames
kde-base/kdegraphics
kde-base/kdemultimedia
kde-base/kdenetwork
kde-base/kdepim
kde-base/kdetoys
kde-base/kdeutils
kde-base/kdewebdev

If something goes wrong in the migration, this will allow you to
revert to the current monolithic builds quickly.

2. Unmerge all kde-base/* packages.  Use 'emerge --depclean --pretend'
to find the other dependancies of kde-base/kde that are installed, and
remove those as well.  (or just use the list above!)

3. Merge kde-base/kde-meta.  This will take a long time.

If something goes wrong that you cannot figure out, you should be able
to reverse this by unmerging kde-base/kde-meta, plus all kde-base/*
packages (again, --depclean --pretend can help here, or look in
/var/db/pkg/kde-base).  Then remerge the current kde with "emerge
--usepkgonly kde-base/kde".

HTH,
-Richard