On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 22:13 +0000, Mick wrote:
> On 13/06/06, Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm getting a strange font problem in evolution and firefox - evolution
> > shows square boxes when it should be showing tabs, and firefox shows
> > square boxes in java applets when it should be showing spaces.
> >

> Not sure it helps, but I occasionally see the same effect with the
> square boxes in Konqueror (I don't have Java on my systems).  Changing
> encoding manually solves it.  So I assume that it is related to some
> language code meta tag in the html/css code which Konqueror does not
> like.  Opera and FF seem to be less fussy about it.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately different encodings didn't make
much difference.  However, I did notice this when I started firefox from
the command line:

$ firefox
No running windows found
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type
FontStruct

what on earth does that mean?  I tried installing
font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi and font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi but
that didn't seem to do anything.  I think I'm barking up the wrong
tree...

There is no royal road to geometry.
                -- Euclid