Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen <at> zlin.dk> writes:

> On Thursday 22 June 2006 18:28, James wrote:
> >  have looked at threads on this issue from 12jun06
> > and 2jun06
> > and http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml.
> > By the way, this doc is good for explaining the issues,
> > but does not explain a clear method to perform the migration
> > form mono to meta......
>
> Did you look at [1] too?

Yes, That solves how to install a new kde (mono, meta, split) but
does not really address cleanzing the sytem of all the old kde kruft.
I have stuff from kde 3.2, 3.3., 3.4 on some of my older systems.

Beside, my thoughts are to remove everthing and start from fresh, as
I seem to be tracking down a multitude of kde related trivial issues
on a variety of kde/gentoo systems I manage.

> > Is there an easy way to remove all of the kde packages before
> > migration to kde-meta?
>
> Sure. But it would remove packages that the meta packages depend on too.
> kde-base/kdelibs takes a long time to compile and hence shouldn't be removed
> as you still need it. Unless of course you need to upgrade it anyway. This
> might be feasible:
>
> #cd /var/db/pkg && emerge -Cva `ls -d kde-base/* | grep -v -r 'kdelibs\|arts'`
>
> It will remove everything in the kde-base category except kdelibs and arts.
> Make sure to check what it removes before doing it. It shouldn't be more than
> 13 packages.
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > But if meta
> > is going away, like the monolithic kde packaging (eventually)
> > I'd rather go straight to the split kde package system.
> > Comments and Recommendations on kde-meta's future?
>
> Why would you think the kde-meta aka the split packages would be going away?
> They certainly won't.

xfree_vs_xorg, dev_vs_udev,  and now kde seem to need major surgery....
Historical experiences with Gentoo. Gentoo is great for the current
new stuff, but often, I'm learning and dealing with minutia, I would
prefer to avoid. When I do avoid the gentoo minutia, I get burned,
like now having to move to meta or split. Granted, in the long run,
these migrations have been good, but it's still painful (time consuming)
 to walk the gentoo path, at times....

> Actually there aren't a lot of monolithic packages. [1] lists them all in a
> box in section 2. If you have all of them you still need to remove only 13
> packages.

Well, but, on some systems, I have kde files from 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4
and 3.5.2  now installed. I have a mess across 7 differnet gentoo
workstations.

> > These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> >  .[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5* (is blocking
> > kde-base/kaboodle-3.5.2) .[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdemultimedia-3.5* (is
> > blocking
> > kde-base/kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data-3.5.2)
>
> This tells you that kde-base/kdemultimedia blocks both kaboodle and
> kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data. You only need to remove the one package
> kdemultimedia. It just blocks a lot of packages that are pulled in by
> kde-meta.
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > From mono to split? Some gentoo/kde systems I manage will want
> > to go to the split system or a few kde-meta packages and the
> > rest of the kde(split) apps individually installed.
>
> Do what I said above or just remove the few packages manually when they block
> something. There really aren't that many. emerging any split package will
> work just as well as the meta packages. You should only use the meta packages
> if you wan't everything.
>
> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-config.xml

 I'll give it a whirl......

thx,