On 6/26/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Monday 26 June 2006 14:36, Sean wrote:
> What is the best way to handle the files that etc-update states needs to
> be updated?

There are three competing utilities for this purpose. The official etc-update
(which sucks and should have been deprecated a long time ago... ;) ),
dispatch-conf and cfg-update.

What's the matter with etc-update? It just does it all...

> It displays a list of all the files that need updating, but does it
> actually put this list into a file anywhere so that I can manually look
> them over to see what the differences are?

This will show the new files:

# find /etc -name ._cfg*

> Or could anyone suggest the best steps to proceed?

What you should do is figure out how to use either dispatch-conf or
cfg-update. Personally I use dispatch-conf because I learned that first and
it satisfies my needs. I think cfg-update is superior but never bothered to
investigate. A couple of references:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=4
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=86622

I don't see why use other tool. Etc-update works great...
I've been using it since my first Gentoo install 2 years ago and never
needed (neither bothered looking for) this other tools you mentioned.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil