Hi Folks:

I received the following warning from SANS yesterday, and I need to know
how to appropriately respond:

http://www.isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1482

To summarize the story at the above link, there appears to be a
vulnerability in the linux kernel, which when exploited, will allow a
user to gain root privileges.

Normally, I would simply upgrade to the latest kernel from portage, and
be done with it, however, here is the problem:

QUOTING SANS HERE:
"As all kernels 2.6.13 up to version 2.6.17.4 and 2.6.16 before
2.6.16.24 are affected, you should patch as soon as possible, even if
you don't allow any local users on your machines."

As of this morning, the latest Kernel version in portage is 2.6.16-r12.
It seems that there is a different versioning / naming scheme used but
im not sure.  Can someone please let me know how to respond, or point me
to appropriate reading so I can protect myself.

Thanks

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...