When I run vmware-config.pl, I get the following error:

        Building for VMware Workstation 5.5.x.
        Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
        make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
        Makefile:127: *** Inappropriate build environment: you wanted to
        use gcc version  while kernel attempts to use gcc version 4.1.1.
        Makefile:129: *** For proper build you'll have to
        replace /usr/bin/gcc with symbolic link to .  Stop.
        make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
        Unable to build the vmmon module.

When I explicitly set the GCC version and then run vmware-config.pl with
VM_CCVER="4.1.1" vmware-config.pl, I successfully pass the GCC version
test, but then make can't find the target auto-build:

        Building for VMware Workstation 5.5.x.
        Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
        make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config3/vmmon-only'
        make: *** No rule to make target `auto-build'.  Stop.
        make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config3/vmmon-only'
        Unable to build the vmmon module.

Of course the target is there:

        fgrep auto-build: /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/Makefile
        auto-build: $(DRIVER_KO)

Falling back to an older version of gentoo-sources doesn't help. "make",
"perl", binutils and coreutils all seem OK.

Has anyone else run into this kind of problem, and if so, how did you
solve it?

Thanks.

--
Vladimir G. Ivanovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>