Hi all,

  I am looking to purchase an external hard-drive for backing up data.
  I am looking for something that has >250G capacity (preferably
  around 300G so I have room to grow). My desktop does not have a
  firewire port, so it is essential that I can use a USB2 connection.
  (Of course, it is also essential that it works with Gentoo!)

  What do people recommend?

  My big question is whether all those fancy "OneTouch" "OneButton"
  things offered by Maxtor/Seagate/etc. would impede the harddrive's
  function on linux. I mean, I don't think whatever software they
  bundled that allowed them to do "One Touch Backups" would work in
  linux, but I would hope those disks can still be mounted as an usb
  storage device. Can someone tell me whether that is the case?

  Also, since I won't be using all those fancy automatic backup
  features, I am hoping to just get a bare-boned external harddrive.
  Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any offered by brands that I
  know (like I mentioend above, Maxtor/Seagate/Buffalo/etc. all have
  fancy features and cost quite a bit more), do people have
  recommendations with that in mind?

Thanks in advance

Willie
--
Pintsize: Hehe, yeah, that does sound like a pretty empty, pointless
    existence.