2006/8/21, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Martin S <shieldfire <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I am having problems installing Gentoo 2006.0. The computer has partitions and
data I want to save.
> Whenever I try to install (using the LiveCD) I get as far as entering
> the root password but when the actual installation is about to start
> the installation dies. Using the cli it simply quits, using the
> graphical thing I get "failed to set root password".
> Any suggestions (other than "use the minimal CD")?Regards,Martin S

An early paragraph in this newsletters talks about liveCD 2006.1

http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060814-newsletter.xml

From a previous post:

Subject: Re: Incompatibility of gentoo 2006
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.gentoo.user
Date: 2006-08-15 15:15:09 GMT (6 days and 16 minutes ago)
Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga <at> gmail.com> writes:
> The GUI (as for "Gentoo Installer") is not perfect (yet).

Boy, that's showing some restraint......

Of my (3) installs using LiveCD 2006.0, all three had to be
completed manually, Lots of wasted time using LiveCD 2006.0.
This was a result of scant-to-nil documentation explaining
what path (i.e. sequence of choices) to follow. So you just
have to float around the various 'sequences of choices'. Once
I got a bootable kernel out of the liveCD 2006.0, I learned
to finish the installation manually. (ugly, real ugly)...
On a positive note, the liveCD 2006 does do a pretty good job
of hardware discover, selection and driver loading.

Currently, *in my opinion*, the manual installation process
is the only one to use.  I have some additional systems to
to install, but, I'm waiting for 2006.1, which should be
released any day now. [1] will let you track the progress
of 2006.1 liveCD release schedule......

I agree. After spending lots of time I have deduced that the installer, 2006.0 variety, doesn't handle installs if the user table is still on the partition where it is going to be installed. It manages to install on empty partitions (at least I think so, it's still at it after 24 hours)  - but documentation is definately sub-par on the installer. I don't think it's the doc team that handles it at this time, is it?

The error message in my original post indicates that there already is a root user and that the installer isn't able to edit the password file.

Regards,

Martin S