On Friday 01 September 2006 18:21, sdoma wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 18:12 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > On Friday 01 September 2006 17:47, sdoma wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I got some MP3 files which seem not to be properly coded. The
> > > Interpret/Title information is missing for some, other show very ugly
> > > time information in XMMS ( -234567:21, 893767:13 i.e.) but the
> > > frame/duration in the MP3 info is correct.
> > >
> > > Are there any tools (preferred command line) to decode the MP3 (get a
> > > raw audio file, wav or something similar) and in turn to code the MP3
> > > with the proper information?
> >
> > even if there are tools - don't do it.
> >
> > The artist/title info is in the id4 tags - you can edit them with lots of
> > tools, even inside most players. No need to recode them.
> >
> > And recoding: mp3 is a lossy format. If you turn them into wavs you have
> > not only wavs based on reduced information, you remove the stuff that
> > makes mp3 sound 'better' than they are. If you encode them again, you are
> > removing more information.
> >
> > So after such a circle the sound quality would be worse. A lot worse.
> > Hardly bearable worse.
> >
> > Just say no to recoding.
>
> Thanks for the hint.I've wodered about too if I can live with the
> quality loss. I cann say that only if I try.
> Well, I've tried to edit the ID4 within XMMS. I can edit this but
> without changing the file. Saying this : I edit the tag, save it and
> nothing changes.
> Could you point me to some of the "lots of tools" you mentioned?

media-sound/audiotag
      Latest version available: 0.15
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 14 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.tempestgames.com/ryan/
vorbis tags in mp3, ogg, and flac files.
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/cantus
      Latest version available: 20060206
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 400 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.debain.org/software/cantus/
OGG/Vorbis
files
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/choad
      Latest version available: 0.822
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 7 kB
      Homepage:    http://ftso.org/choad/index1.html
CD-ripping-ID3-tagging-and-mp3-encoding utility
      License:     Artistic

*  media-sound/cowbell
      Latest version available: 0.2.7.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 1,309 kB
      Homepage:    http://more-cowbell.org
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/easytag
      Latest version available: 1.99.12
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 3,905 kB
      Homepage:    http://easytag.sourceforge.net/
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/id3
      Latest version available: 0.12-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 12 kB
      Homepage:    http://lly.org/~rcw/abcde/page/

  media-sound/id3ed
      Latest version available: 1.10.4
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 92 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.dakotacom.net/~donut/programs/id3ed.html
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/id3tool
      Latest version available: 1.2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 112 kB
      Homepage:    http://nekohako.xware.cx/id3tool/
tags present in MPEG Layer 3 audio files
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/id3v2
      Latest version available: 0.1.11
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 153 kB
      Homepage:    http://id3v2.sourceforge.net/
      License:     GPL-2

 media-sound/kid3
      Latest version available: 0.6
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 2,529 kB
      Homepage:    http://kid3.sourceforge.net/
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/madman [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 0.93
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 1,606 kB
      Homepage:    http://madman.sourceforge.net/
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/mp3info
      Latest version available: 0.8.4-r2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 37 kB
      Homepage:    http://ibiblio.org/mp3info/
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/musicman
      Latest version available: 0.15
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 1,423 kB
      Homepage:    http://musicman.sourceforge.net/
      License:     GPL-2

> ... and what about the time information? It is silly to have a 3 minute
> song with shows as days long and even negative duration :( (well, this
> could be an ``unsigned int'' issue.

I don't know how to fix it. But is it really so important? Do you watch the
timing information while listening to the song?