<reader <at> newsguy.com> writes:

> I haven't used cups for quite a while and haven't been paying
> attention to cups related posts here but a search on gmane indicates
> there isn't much going on.

I recently had trouble with cups too. So I follow this document:

http://localhost:631/sam.html

<which should be on your cups installed sytems> and used this portion
of the manual to set up an hp laserjet printer:

<snip>
Similarly, a HP LaserJet printer using a JetDirect network interface at IP
address 11.22.33.44 would be added with the command:

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LaserJet -E -v socket://11.22.33.44
-m laserjet.ppd ENTER

As you can see, deskjet.ppd and laserjet.ppd are the PPD files for
the HP
DeskJet and HP LaserJet drivers included with CUPS. You'll find a
complete list
of PPD files and the printers they will work with in Appendix C,
 "Printer Drivers".
<end/snip>

Then I just go to the /etc/cups dir and manually edit the files as
necessary.
Once that is done, you can use the cups gui admin for some stuff.
Once I get a printer work, I make dated backups so the next time a
cups upgrade
messes things up, I just look at the dated backup:

-rw-r----- 1 root lp      255 Sep  7 23:23 printers.conf
-rw------- 1 root root    255 Sep  4 22:23 printers.conf.works.4sep06

ymmv,
hth,