On 9/13/06, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Not sure I fully grasp what you mean by a 'hardened system'. If you mean
running a hardened kernel with only necessary software installed, then
yes, I run hardened kernels on most servers {dns, web, mail, firwalls....}

If running a hardened system means more than that, please explain,
or point me to some docs.

I guess I should have clarified when I made my initial suggestion. A
hardened system is one that is running the hardened profile. All my
server systems are built from the hardened stage 1 tarball. So
basically, you should not use the hardened useflag if your system was
not built with the hardened profile.

Note that there is more to "hardening" a system than just using a
certain profile or a combination of useflags but its a good start.

-Mike