On Wednesday 04 October 2006 17:41, "Richard Fish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] DHClient Woes - No Modules Loaded?':
> On 10/1/06, Lord Sauron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > modules_eth0=( "dhcpcd" )
>
> This is the problem.  By specifying the modules explicitly, you have
> told Gentoo *not* to use ifplugd.

That's not the way the modules line works.  The modules line supplements
the built in defaults.  For example, I use pump and ifplugd and my modules
line is simply:
modules_eth0=( "pump" )

The modules you've specified will be used for their service (in this case,
dhcp) and the defaults, if available, will be used for other services.
Were this not the case, I'd have to specify:
modules_eth0=( "ifconfig" "ifplugd" "pump" )
or similar, listing a module for each service.  That are at least 3 net
services I know of:
configuration: either ifconfig or iproute2
link-detection: none, ifplugd, or netplug
DHCP: none, dhclient, dhcpcd, or pump (and possibly others)
and there are probably more services.

If you want to use dhcp via pump and turn off link-detection entirely,
you'd have to use a modules line of:
modules_$iface=( "pump" "!plug" )

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest