If I stick the SD memory-card from my camera into my USB all-in-one
memory card-reader *BEFORE PLUGGING THE CARD-READER INTO THE USB PORT*,
it's recognized as /dev/sdb and mount works as expected.

  If I stick the SD memory-card from my camera into my USB all-in-one
memory card-reader *AFTER  PLUGGING THE CARD-READER INTO THE USB PORT*,
no such luck.  If I "fdisk /dev/sdb" (which requires root) then it wakes
up something somewhere, the card is recognized as /dev/sdb and mount
works as expected.

  Is it possible to get the system to automatically recognize when a
card is inserted into the reader?

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca