While system-level services are typically managed by /etc/init.d/* in
Gentoo, these are maintained by root for all users.  I'm interested in
an end-user without root access who wants to 'run a service-like
process' (for example, fectmail to poll remote accounts...)  While an
end user can easily run a daemon process or kill one, this doesn't
persist across a reboot.  I've tried using fcron to schedule user
processes to re-start after a re-boot... but this feels like a hack.

Is there a standard Gentoo way to solve this (I presume common) task?