On Monday 18 December 2006 19:17, Danyelle Gragsone wrote:
> I just stepped back into gentoo after a long too long jump to ubuntu.
> I had no time to do all the tinkering of things that is required in
> gentoo sometimes.  My ability to do things deminished greatly!.  I am
> back in the gentoo seat to remember long lost skills.  I totally did
> not like the livecd install.  I went back to the universal install
> cd's and all is well.  I am a qa'r so you know what my next test will
> be ;).  I think like many distro's people tend to flock to new or new
> to them distros to see what its like. Gentoo is one of the distros I
> learned the most with as with I am sure many of its other users.
> Gentoo still by far ( to me ) has the best documentation and user
> help out!
>
> LOVE LIVE GENTOO!

There will always be a current flavour-of-the-moment distro.

A few years ago it was Red Hat 9, then Debian had a turn, then Gentoo
hit the headlines. A large part of the hype was ricers who thought that
having gcc unroll every loop would somehow give spectacular performance
increases. They were wrong and - thank god - most of them have left,
leaving us sane folks behind.

The current flavour seems to be Ubuntu, but that is waning too. They hit
a few major teething problems with edgy and feisty like livecds that
didn't work right and binary drivers. Who knows what will be next to be
popular - Slackware? Debian?

These things go up and down, and with a group as large and diverse as a
distro, you get growing pains and procedures/personnel/cultures
changes. But gentoo will always be here and I recommend you not to read
too much into the daily ups and downs. Besides, like another poster
said, if gentoo is your favourite distro and the maintainers need a
hand, what's stopping any of us from becoming devs ourselves?

alan