On Monday 25 December 2006 04:48, "Andrey Gerasimenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?':
> You want to update world and, at the same time, not to update anything.
> I can understand that if your goal is not to "update world", as Portage
> thinks when you say "-u world", but to install only bug and sequrity
> fixes, as Portage does if you mask pakeges properly.

Well, if you put some work into defining exactly what package versions
would want installed.

> As far as I
> remember, according to this list some work to treat sequrity updates
> differently is under way. As for bug fixes, I do not see how they can be
> separated from features.

glsa-check from gentoolkit(?) should tell you exactly what packages to
mask/upgrade to get security fixes, while bug fixes are currently handled
exactly the same way a feature additions (generally upstream doesn't
differentiate between these two changes either -- sometimes the y in x.y.z
is for feature additions (with the z for bug fixes) but this isn't really
consistent).  Gentoo-specific bug fixes are either an in-place change to
the ebuild (no version bump) or a bump of the revision (-r1) number, which
is independent of upstream (and should nearly universally be installed).

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest