On Sunday 31 December 2006 00:59, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> On Friday 29 December 2006 09:25, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/ # emerge -s gnome-icon-theme
> > Searching...
> > [ Results for search key : gnome-icon-theme ]
> > [ Applications found : 1 ]
> >
> > *  x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme
> >       Latest version available: 2.16.1
> >       Latest version installed: 2.16.1

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/ # emerge gnome-applets
> > Emerging (1 of 1) gnome-base/gnome-applets-2.16.2 to

> > checking for GIT... configure: error: Package requirements
> > (gnome-icon-theme >= 2.15.91) were not met:
> > Requested 'gnome-icon-theme >= 2.15.91' but version of gnome-icon-theme
> > is 2.10.1
> >
> > Something is confused somewhere about the version of gnome-icon-theme
> > installed.  I've resynced and reemerged gnome-icon-theme with no success.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> It appears no one has any suggestions.  Can someone perhaps tell me how
> portage goes about determining the installed version to give me a direction
> to start trying to figure this out.

This isn't exactly portage determining the installed version of
gnome-icon-theme. It's the configure script of gnome-applets which is unaware
of the existance of portage checking the environment before the actual compile.
It uses the return value of:

# pkg-config --exists --print-errors "gnome-icon-theme >= 2.15.91"

to determine whether it's requirement is fulfilled.

Maybe you have some orphaned pkg-config file (.pc) as Kent suggests. The output
of e.g.:

# pkg-config --debug --modversion gnome-icon-theme 2>&1 | grep gnome-icon-theme

will tell you where the .pc file is. If you have app-portage/gentoolkit
installed you can use `equery belongs $FILE` to see if it's orphaned (i.e.
if it belongs to no package.). Orphaned files like that can be safely deleted.

HtH.

--
Bo Andresen