On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 00:07:00 +0000
Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just checked and it seems that the OEM firmware on the netgear
> drops all ssh attempts to connect.  :(

Im sure your router's firmware isn't allowing ssh connections.  The
router itself does not offer ssh access to anyone.  What you would
probably want to do is to enable port forwarding on your router to a
linux system behind the router.

>I do not want to run a PC behind the router.  Instead, I am looking for
>an enhanced hardware router type of solution.  Would you perhaps know
>of either a COTS product, or a Linux embedded approach to fulfil this
>requirement?

I am not sure what you mean by this, but I do hope you'll consider
using a normal commodity PC as your router.  Security is fabulous, CPU
usage for routing and such will hover at about 0%, it requires very
little memory (say, under 15 megs, and that's from experience -- the
actual number was 13 megs fyi) and gives you a handy place for dns,
email, dhcp, nis, ftp, http, and so on if you care to set up any
network services for yourself.  In a pinch (low on hardware) you could
easily set up your workstation to route for the network at,
effectively, no extra charge.  That way you can open the ports you want
at least.  I don't know how to embed it, it's totally done, but the
actual facility of this is unclear to me.

>I would like to be able to tunnel through ssh to my home router
>(netgear DG834) from random public wifi access points, for the purpose
>of connecting through my own ISP to the internet for internet browsing
>and email.

are you sure you want the internet traffic to go through the wifi
provider's ISP, through the worldwide web (tracepath gives routes that
you may find surprising for traffic in the neighborhood will often go
accross the nation for me), back through your home ISP, and into your
home network, then back again through your home ISP and back into the
world to the computer whose website you are attempting to browse? That's
a pretty convoluted trip.

for email, you could always set up a bonafide IMAP server... if you had
a linuxbox routing for you ; ).  The gray hair count on that project
wasn't too bad for me, and I love having my email in the closet down
the hallway instead of on my flaky WebMail providers' servers.