Than i try and ping its ip and i get
connect: network is unreachable

Pinging www.Google.com:
connect: network is unreachable

contents of resolv.conf
domain localdomain
nameserver 192.168.1.1

But as i said before I am able to browser the web in Firefox.

On 1/12/07, PaulNM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ryan Crisman wrote:
> Everytime I attempt to install a new program using portage i get this
> error:
>
> Resolving distfiles.gentoo.org... failed: Temporary failure in  name
> resolution.
>
> I do have internet access and I am writing this email from the same
> machine.  It doesn't matter what package or when i get this error all
the
> time.  Even on the other mirrors for the package.

Well, for some reason dns lookup for those sites fail.  What happens
when you put distfiles.gentoo.org in a web browser?  You could also try
pinging the repositories first, and if they get though, try emerge
again.  If emerge still fails, I'd try adding them to the host file with
whatever ip you get from pinging as a workaround.

PaulNM