On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 15:06 +0100, Jan Stępień wrote:
[...]

> I've begun this thread because of my difficulties with running some
> OpenGL applications, e.g. Americas Army, on my Xgl. If you'd like to
> read any details you can take a look at first posts of this topic.

Then you probably don't want to use GDM or any other DM as they are
primarily designed to "manage" displays that are already selected.  What
you want is more of a chicken-and-egg issue for a display manager.

What you likely need is something to be run from the command line (i.e.
*before* X is started).  startx (or xinit) are perfect for this.  No
need to write any fancy program, it can pretty much do what you're
asking:

$ startx /path/to/program/that/needs/X.org -- /usr/bin/X
$ startx -- /usr/bin/Xgl

or whatever. There's probably a dozen other ways to do it.  See the
startx man page for details.