On Monday 26 February 2007 22:02, b.n. wrote:
> Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
> > On Sunday 25 February 2007, Mick wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> It seems that when Amarok is playing, all system sounds are put on
> >> hold.  Once I close Amarok then all system (KDE) notifications
> >> suddenly sound at once!
> >>
> >> How do I figure out what's wrong and how should I fix it?
> >
> > One word:
> >
> > arts
> >
> > It's an abomination that should not be suffered to live. Disable it,
> > switch it off, consign it to hell for all eternity.
>
> You can also compile all of kde switching off the "alsa" use flag.

Did you mean to say "arts"?  I thought that this was required to be able to
play KDE system notifications?

I checked again my settings.  I have enabled the Sound System in Kcontrol, but
have set it to use alsa.  However, under System Notifications I used to
have /usr/bin/aplay as the external sound player (under Audio Player
settings).  Since aplay was hard masked a long time ago, I switched back
to 'KDE sound system' which I believe is using Arts.  I recall dmix playing
nicely with arts by mixing system notification sounds with alsa.  From your
messages I assume that although alsa deals with software mixing all on its
own it does not mix in nicely with Arts.

Since aplay is hard masked, what external player should I use?  What other
options are there to be able to play system notifications, if I want to keep
alsa?

Thanks for your responses.
--
Regards,