On Wednesday 04 April 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 05:19:09PM +0100, Nelson, David J wrote:
> > Do we want a UNIX standard? A linux standard? A Gentoo standard? A lowest
> > common denominator standard? A "what most people prefer" standard?
>
> I am not talking about which colors to use, which is a personal
> preference and can have no standard.  I am talking about the most
> basic principles, that all programs behave the same and can be enabled
> or disabled in the same way.  When gentoo unilaterally decides to do
> the opposite, it sticks out like a sore thumb.  The proper way to add
> color to emerge and its affiliates would have been with an alias, as
> it does with ls, not by adding hard coded escape chars to messages,
> nor by defaulting to color enabled and adding untested non-functional
> control features to disable it.

The *proper* way is also a personal preference.
I like it the way it is, you don't.
But we've got to start somewhere.

For the record, disabling color works fine on my systems.

> > Insults rarely get you anywhere. Constructive feedback and discussion are
> > generally better options FYI.
>
> Like I said.  My experience has been that people who don't follow even
> the most rudimentary principles, like testing features, following
> standards, and reusing existing code rather than hard coding magic
> numbers, simply do not listen to old farts who file bug reports.  This
> has been from years of experience with coworkers and with mailing
> lists.
>
> My rant here has been to let off steam.  I am not going to waste time
> filing a bug report about magic numbers, standards, and testing new
> features, when those are the things that should be taught in the first
> weeks of any programming course and explained in the first chapters of
> any programming book.  I might as well explain 2+2=4 to someone
> screwing up his calculus homework.

Are we even talking about the same code?

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work for you, so unless you plan
to ditch emerge, ditch Gentoo, switch to Paludis or file a bugreport. You'll
be looking at the pretty colors for a while.

`which emerge` does actually yield `/usr/bin/emerge` does it?

Anyway, please allow us to help or just stop posting.