[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> When devs think it good to colorize everybody's
> terminal without regard to long established UNIX custom of using just
> simple plain text, I am told that gentoo is not UNIX.  Good grief,
> what an attitude!

The Gentoo devs did not invent colourised text. It has been around since
the 1970's at least with ANSI terminals. The IBM PC, released in the
early 1980's, came with a choice of two display hardware devices, one of
which was a 16 colour  text display known as CGA. Linux was not even
dreamt of - let alone Gentoo - in those days. The advantages of colour
to highlight important text were quickly realised and demand brought
down the price of the hardware which, in turn, reduced prices still
further. Of course, you could still have plain white text (or green, or
amber) if you wanted it by buying a monochrome monitor or terminal. The
UNIX default was, effectively, white text on an undefined background but
rarely seen in most working environments from the late 1970's on.

> When the gentoo dev community stops spouting nonsense about gentoo is
> not unix, stops pointing fingers at third party software which was
> written to work with gentoo software, and stops blaming users for
> preferring white backgrounds, then they will have earned some respect.

So, you would like to have the Unix default of white text on your white
background? Xterms, X-based consoles - call them what you will, do not
conform to that original UNIX "standard" so it is being hypocritical to
demand that the text output should accomodate them whilst still
conforming to your imaginary standard. One of the (few) advantages of
working in X-windows is that just about everything is configurable - so
get configuring instead of whining and complaining.

FWIW, I don't know any serious UNIX/Linux people, of any age, who don't
prefer the text-based console for command-line work. Most of my own
machines at home don't even have X-windows installed - let alone the
servers I administer.

Be lucky,

Neil