On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:05:55 +0000
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hello,
>   I heard of that using emerge --sync frequently may hert my
> hard-disk, so I don't have a try --sync quite often(maybe once a
> month), but how can I know whether I really need a sync and upgrade
> my system if a new kernel or glibc is realised? Is there a simple and
> quick method?
>
>   Thank you for any advices.

My home portage server - up 24/7 - syncs daily and is just fine.
Furthermore, rsync is just another program, accessing the hard drive in
the same old way, and isn't a very effective way of breaking hard
drives.  Anyway, if you're worried about your hard drive, try setting
it up to spin down frequently with hdparm when not in use.  That can
extend the life expectancy of commodity drives especially -- many
consumer-end disk drives are not meant to spin more than 8 hours or so
every day.