Hello,

I just found out that 'noatime' mount option is ignored on my system for
/ (root) partition. In /etc/fstab I have entry for /:

/dev/sda6      /       ext3         noatime,usrquota,grpquota

and 'mount' command shows:

/dev/sda6 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,usrquota,grpquota)

but /proc/mounts does not show noatime option:

/dev/root / ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota,grpquota 0 0

When I do 'cat <some_file>', 'ls -lu' shows that its access time _is_
modified. However I can do 'mount -o remount /' and filesystem is then
remounted correctly (access time is not modified anymore), I want to
ask if this is normal behaviour and remounting / after boot is common
solution.

The root of problem is probably the fact, that /etc/fstab is not
available when / is about to mount. But I did not find it mentioned in
any ext3 tweaking guide or so. Everywhere is just "add noatime option
to fstab and you're fine". In Gentoo Handbook is also nothing about
it (and noatime option is used for /).

I think initrd could solve this problem but I do not want it.

Is noatime for / working for you?

Robert

--
Robert Cernansky