* Bo Ørsted Andresen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> *What* are you talking about? PDEPENDs are packages that should be emerged
> *after* the package in question. That A depends on B to be emerged *after* A
> and B depends on A to be emerged *before* B does not produce a circular
> dependency!

In some situations they're in fact circular, ie. when using binary
packages.

BTW: I don't see any reason why the whole Xserve should be recompiled
if just some other device driver is needed.

> The PDEPEND of xorg-server is a convenience for the user to only need to set
> VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES (or stick with the defaults) and have
> xorg-server pull in only the requested drivers after itself.

Why not simply an virtual for that ?
I did it in my overlay, and it works very fine.

<snip>

> > If you want some package which pulls in an complete Xserver installation
> > *and* drivers (based on certain useflags), why not just an virtual
> > package ?
>
> virtuals are similar to meta packages (if you look at their contents)
> with one very important difference.
>
> virtuals provide a minimal functionality that other packages can
> depend on without caring about what provides it. meta packages
> are a convenience to the users that pulls in a bunch of packages
> and hence nothing is allowed to depend on them.

meta or virtual - where's the technical difference ?

I don't care about how you call them, but pulling in the drivers
should not belong to the server package, but an separate one.

cu