Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 02 June 2007 04:16, Dale wrote:
>
>> Mick wrote:
>>
>>> On Friday 01 June 2007 23:24, Dale wrote:
>>>

>>> As far as I can
>>> figure they say that you should have correction control and compression
>>> enabled on your modem.  Can yours do that?
>>>
>> This thing has a ton of options in it.  But I think the above may be the
>> issue we are having.
>>

> Dig out the manual from your bottom draw or the Internet and see how you can
> tweak compression On.

I did do a google search a long time ago when I first got the modem.  It
appears to be so old that there is no manual available.   I just got a
list of the AT commands and poked around.  Blind luck if I recall
correctly.  LOL

>>> Not withstanding the above, your modem only sends packets but seems to
>>> receive nothing back from your ISP.  Have you changed the serial port, or
>>> the serial cable, or the serial connector/adaptor to the modem?  If you
>>> have by mistake used a null modem as opposed to a straight through RS-232
>>> serial cable the connection is unlikely to work (properly).
>>>
>>> Do you have another modem to try it with?
>>>
>> Yup, I do have another modem that is a Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO.  It
>> works for my bro but not for me.  It doesn't even work with my current
>> ISP.  It tries to connect at 115K which is more like a serial port
>> speed.  It seems to be confused, as am I right now.
>>

> You can define connection speed through kppp (although I think this is the
> speed between the PC and the modem).  Some AT command will tell the modem how
> fast to try to connect (more digging for a manual here).
>

>> This is what I am thinking about getting.  I had this before it got hit
>> by lightening.
>> http://www.discountsales.com/shop/pub/1153574702_1177517624.htm  I am
>> pretty sure it worked too.  I know it did for my current ISP but I think
>> I used his ISP a few times too.  I'm pretty sure this works with Bell
>> South.  Your thoughts???
>>

> My thoughts are:
>
> a)These days slow ADSL connections are charged as much as dial up Internet
> connections (in the UK it's either 'free' if you buy it as a bundle with a
> telephone service, or as little as £10, say $9.50 a month) - check out what
> BellSouth or other ISPs offer in your area.
> b)BellSouth's website recommends specific modems with V.92 spec:
>   Zoom Conexant: Model Number 3049C
>   Zoom Lucent: Model Number 3049L
>   Creative Labs: Modem Blaster V.92 Serial
> Try one of those (especially if they are hardware modems, not softmodems)
> aand
> see how much they may be selling for (thrown away) in ebay.  If these are
> only softmodems then google to find out what chip they have to see if there
> are Linux drivers for it (I'm very happy with ltmodem, not so happy with
> linuxant).
> c)If all else fails go for an Actiontec EX560LKA which is a true external
> hardware modem.  Not sure what the one you are showing is and what software
> drivers it might need.

I wish I could get DSL of any kind out here but it is not available
yet.  The last upgrade we got on our phone service is when we got off
the party line system.  That's where 3 or 4 people share the same phone
line.  Yea, that old.  They killed my apple tree too.  :-@

The link I gave is for the last one, the Actiontec modem.  It is what I
had before and the one that got hit by lightening.  I had to get the
current one as a replacement.  Hey, it was only $10.00.  LOL

I plan to go to my ISP tomorrow and see if they have a newer one.  Wish
me luck.

Thanks for all the help.

Dale

--
www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967

Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.