On 6/10/07, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I was trying to login (via ssh) to a virtual server and it was taking
ages (19
> > > secs or so).  Apparently there was something wrong with the way the
sysadmin
> > > had set up DNS.  Once fixed I would be asked for a passwd with 1-2
seconds.
> > > It could be that something like this is wrong with your server?
> >
> > I'll check that out.  Thanks guys.
> >

> Try it with 'curl'
> ie:
> curl -v www.google.com
>
> If it doesnt find an IP, its a DNS problem, if it finds an IP but
> doesn't connect, it may be a routing problem, if it works for all
> sites, but not a particular site, that site might be broken, and
> 'curl' might be able to help you see where.

Thanks Kent.  When I'm browsing my site and it hangs, I ping the
domain and the times are normal even though I'm having trouble
connecting at the exact same time.  The pings are really slow in
coming back, but the reported times are normal.  Does that sound like
a problem with apache2 then?

Sounds like a routing problem of sorts to me, apache  ( afaik ) has no
impact on /ping/ times. My favourite tool for finding traffic problems
is "mtr" , see packet loss and route and where packet loss is occuring
all at once :)   Sometimes it will report 100% packet loss on a middle
step if that server ignores pings tho, .. .so...

does curl respond properly? , or does it just sit there waiting for  response?

--
Kent
ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|