On Friday 15 June 2007, Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about '[gentoo-user]  Make portage assume, that a package is installed':
> Good morning!
>
> On my system, I did not install net-dialup/ppp.
> But I'd now like to install kde-base/kde-meta, which will
> pull in kde-base/kdenetwork-meta, which will pull in kde-base/kppp
> and this will finally pull in net-dialup/ppp.
>
> Can I now make it somehow so, that I am able to install kdenetwork-meta,
> but NOT install kppp & ppp?
>
> So I tried to create the file in /etc/portage. Contents:
>
> --($:~)-- cat /etc/portage/package.provided
> kde-base/kppp-3.5.7
> net-dialup/ppp-2.4.4-r8
>
> Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.
>
> How do I do it right?

As Peter Alfredsen mentioned, overrides for your profile should go
in /etc/portage/profile instead of /etc/portage.

However, I suggest that a cleaner method would be to not install kde-meta
or kdenetwork-meta at all but instead just install the KDE applications
that you require.

For example:
$ grep -i kde /var/db/pkg/world
dev-util/kdesvn
kde-base/akregator
kde-base/kalzium
kde-base/kaudiocreator
kde-base/kcharselect
kde-base/kdeartwork-kscreensaver
kde-base/kdeartwork-kwin-styles
kde-base/kdeartwork-styles
kde-base/kdebase-startkde
kde-base/kdm
kde-base/kget
kde-base/kgpg
kde-base/kicker-applets
kde-base/klipper
kde-base/kmahjongg
kde-base/kmail
kde-base/kmenuedit
kde-base/kmix
kde-base/kompare
kde-base/konq-plugins
kde-base/konqueror-akregator
kde-base/konsole
kde-base/kontact
kde-base/korganizer
kde-base/kpager
kde-base/kpdf
kde-base/kscreensaver
kde-base/kstars
kde-base/ksysguard
kde-base/kwalletmanager
kde-base/kwin
kde-base/superkaramba
kde-misc/kdiff3
kde-misc/filelight

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))