At Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:54:06 -0500 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Thursday 21 June 2007 19:40:23 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> Which package contains libnetsnmp-devel?
>
> $eix -c snmp
> [...]
> [I] net-analyzer/net-snmp ([EMAIL PROTECTED]/28/2006): Software for
> generating and
> retrieving SNMP data
> [...]
>
> Probably that one, but that's just a guess.

Thanks; you are right.  I eventually found it too.  I now see where I
got into trouble.  I didn't set the snmp use flag and hence hplip
didn't bring in net-analyzer/net-snmp.

Is this a bug?  That is, should hplip unconditionally depend on
net-snmp?  hplip includes hp-check, which complained that I needed
libnetsnmp-devel.

I still have not been able to install my network-attached hp officejet
7310 using hp-setup (it install fine via cups).  The trouble is that
scanning doesn't work and various network posts suggest that
installing via hp-setup is needed for most of the hp tool and for full
functionality of the device.

When/if I (with help from the hplip list) resolve my scanning problem,
I will check if net-snmp is really needed.  If so, I am inclined to
file a bug.

allan