On Monday 23 July 2007 23:14, Mick wrote:

> If your local Dell distributor can't/won't get it for you, can't you
> import it from the US?  Of course, it may take a tad longer to arrive
> and you will have to pay some import tax.

I had been considering the Inspiron 1520 which I believe is (or will be)
available in Linux versions. But the waiting time is approximately a
month - too long - prices can change (go down) a fair bit in a month.

Another model I considered was the Aspire 5572AWXMI which is apparently
discontinued but had been available from some SE Asia outlets
pre-installed with Linpus so driver compatibility shouldn't be a problem.

In the end I went for a Thinkpad Z61. I've yet to install gentoo on it -
still cleaning the windoze partition, removing useless programs and
shrinking/backup the partition etc. But I've tried a number of livecds
and all the major components are supported (wifi, cardreader, usb, lan,
video, pc card, modem, sound, bluetooth). The only thing I'm not sure
about is the IEEE1394, I don't have any devices to test it, but dmesg
reports it's "working".

--
Crayon