Hello,

I've got an older Compaq EVO D510 desktop that I was thinking to setup as a
lab machine (that should be also used by people who basicaly have no Linux
knowledge). I've installed Gentoo on it and it works well but for one thing:

When I want sto shut it down, it reboots! This happens as well from KDE as
from the command line with "shutdown -h now": the machine does shut down,
then auto-reboots.

I've thought it might be linked to ACPI - so I added noacpi acpi=off (I don't
know why but it seems I need both to make grub understand) and now it shuts
down and stpos, but does not turn off... and if I push the power button, it
reboots.

Just now I'm thinking I should look if APM is compiled into the kernel, I did
a genkernel all so I assume it is.

Any idea as to what other possibilities exist to tell that machine just to
shut down and turn off?

Thierry