Am Samstag 18 August 2007 20:01:15 schrieb Walter Dnes:
>   This is getting frustrating.  All my searching turns up stuff that
> involves responding to some "event" that is triggered by closing the lid
> on a laptop.  That is obviously not going to happen on a desktop PC.
> I've got a few reasons for wanting the desktop to suspend, or at least
> sleep...
>
>   1) Save wear and tear on the drive for the major part of the day when
> I'm not using the machine
>
>   2) Ontario (especially Toronto) runs close to the limit of electrical
> capacity during hot summer days and the authorities want us to conserve
>
>   3) Did I mention that I've just moved to a newer condo, where every
> suite is on their own electrical meter<g> ?
>
>   Normal rebooting is a pain, because I usually run with 3 or 4 text
> consoles logged in for different functions, as well as an X session.  So
> what do I have to do to get a *DESKTOP* PC to suspend to disk (preferred)
> or to ram (second choice)?
>
> --

My tip: Use suspend2-sources (AFAIK normal gentoo-sources+suspend2 patch) and
sys-apps/suspend2-userui. They come with nice hibernate and hibernate-ram
scripts. I think there is a howto somewhere, just google (or use google's
chache if the wiki is still down).

I'm sure you can bind these scripts to pressing the power button with acpi but
I don't know how. I use a hotkey and sudo-settings for that.

Hibernate (suspend to disk) should work fine as long as there are no critical
drivers. Hibernate-ram might or might not work.