On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 09:00:45PM -0500, ?Q? wrote:

> The script is at <http://remarqs.net/misc/mids2urls.sh.txt>.  Feel free
> to reply to me off-list (or just to flame me) if you think this kind of
> non-Gentoo-specific stuff has no place here.

I took a quick look and about the only advice I'd give is ... use
perl! or python or ruby, or whatever language rocks your boat.

I learned perl because a small project I did involved text processing
and it got uglier and uglier the more I tried to trick awk, sed, grep,
sort, and all the usual suspects into doing the job.  I finally
decided to learn perl and did that and got the job done in half the
time I had spent trying the usual suspects.  Since then, I have gone
straight to perl for any script which has to do anything as fancy as
get options or parse text.

Bash makes scripting more powerful than the old bourne shell, but it
doesn't make it any easier.

I know it's not the advice you wanted :-)

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933