On Sunday 19 August 2007 04:00:45 »Q« wrote:
> It works as it is, but I'm interested in learning about any newbie traps
> into which I might be falling or about any better practices I should
> use. This is my first attempt at printing a usage message or parsing
> arguments.
>
> The script is at <http://remarqs.net/misc/mids2urls.sh.txt>.  Feel free
> to reply to me off-list (or just to flame me) if you think this kind of
> non-Gentoo-specific stuff has no place here.

It's hardly the best place to ask this kind of question but anyway.. :p

The most noticeable thing which is wrong with this script is the quoting inside
the brackets [  ]. Since you use bash you should just use [[  ]] instead
(which makes most of the quoting in them unneeded..). Also things like
[[ $foo == "" ]] should rather be [[ -n $foo ]] but that's a minor.

Finally the number of calls to grep, sed and tr clearly shows that you could
improve your knowledge about sed.. ;)

http://wooledge.org/mywiki/BashFAQ#head-b1c292ce2f4fdfa6a7b5389da1892d65b6f37cda

--
Bo Andresen