On Wednesday 05 September 2007, Pablo Murillo wrote:
> now I'm worse :(
>
> I update de portage, and now I have a biger problem
>------------ These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild  N    ] dev-db/mysql-init-scripts-1.2
> [ebuild  N    ] mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61-r2  USE="ssl -ipv6 -mailwrapper
> -md5sum" [ebuild     U ] dev-db/mysql-5.0.44 [4.1.21]
> USE="-max-idx-128%" [ebuild  N    ] virtual/mysql-5.0
> [ebuild     U ] dev-lang/php-5.2.3-r3 [5.1.4]
> USE="-fastbuild* -filter% -ftp* -hash* -imap* -json% -ldap-sasl%
> -pic* -snmp* -sockets* -spell* -sqlite* -suhosin% -tokenizer*
> -xmlreader* -xmlrpc* -xmlwriter* -zip* -zip-external%"
> [blocks B     ] mail-mta/ssmtp (is blocking mail-mta/qmail-1.03-r16)
> [blocks B     ] mail-mta/qmail (is blocking mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61-r2)
>------------
>
> I don't want to REinstall qmail or ssmtp, everything is working fine
> What can I do ?

First, please don't top post. It makes your posts illegible as I can't
tell in what order who said what. And probably stop using Outlook
Express as well. That POS hasn't gotten around to figuring out yet that
text mails go up to column 80 or so for a good reason. It's mangled
your post by stripping out all the line breaks, making it doubly hard
to read.

Onto your output. emerge wants to re-install ssmtp (I can't tell why),
but can't because it conflicts with qmail which you already have
installed. That's what the last two lines mean:
ssmtp won't install itself if qmail is already there,
qmail is complaining and won't let emerge install ssmtp for the same
reason.

I suspect it's php wanting to pull in ssmtp, what I don't understand is
why it wants to do that when qmail already provides virtual/mta.

Please rerun the emerge above ith the -t option so we can see what's
going on.

alan

Optimists say the glass is half full,
Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za