forgottenwizard wrote:
On 23:04 Thu 27 Sep     , Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:
forgottenwizard wrote:
On 19:42 Thu 27 Sep     , Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:
Hi ppl,

My basic idea is to have chroot-ed environment which will be the full system and then to install separate system with only minimal stuff (without gcc, portage, ...). When I need to update the minimal system I will first update the chrooted one and the emerge the updates onto the new one.
What it sounds like you want is an LFS system. Look at the -B option for
emerge. That may have some of what you are looking for.

Hm I browsed through emerge man page but I'm unable to find the -B option. Is this maybe --build option ?

Yeah. Just something to build the binaries should work.

I wanted to ask if somebody has done something like this, is something like this possible and are there any wiki's or howto's on this topic. I've tried searching through the handbook and google-ing but had no luck.
I thought about doing this once before, but what is going to make the
diffrence is how minimal you want the system. Are we talking a kernel +
[ba|z]sh + coreutils or are we talking a tiny Apache server?
Well I want to have couple of variations:
1. Apache, php, python,
2. Xorg, python, wxwindows

So I guess they wouldn't be too small. My expectations are that the fs size would be <= 256 MB to 400 MB. My target is VIA C3 Nemiah board with 128MB RAM and 512MB CF Card.

Nice. Apache I know you could fit into that without a problem, and X
should be able to handle that little

If you want the absolute minimal, then I would look some into LFS since
Gentoo wants to install so much by default (gcc, bash, coreutils, wget,
ect).

I thought about checking out LFS but Gentoo seemed simpler to try. Also because of portage the system is easier to upgrade. But if I can't get what I need I guess I'll try LFS.

Look up ALFS (Automated Linuc From Scratch). It's a basic system, but if
you want something fairly minimal, I'd suggest looking at Portage and
the ebuilds you like and see if you couldn't script yourself a small
package manager just using wget and maybe doing the compiling by hand
(or just running ./configure && make && make install, if you don't want
to do anything to minimize the installed packages).

Hm very nice idea. Some kind of Gentoo/LFS hybtid :). I guess I'll give it a shot.

Thank you so much.