I missed this thread earlier, so pardon me commenting to the OP so far down
the thread.

I'm currently using an air2pc card I picked up on eBay. I believe I paid
around $20-30US. It pulls in all OTA ATSC signals just fine. I can't speak for
it's abilities to work with QAM (Cable.) I'm controlling it with MythTV.

Though I do recommend a decent processor. I used to run an Athlon 850MHz and
it could not keep up with an HD (1080i, etc) signal. It will dump the stream
to disk, just not display it (slow, pauses, etc.)

Patrick