On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 10:10 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Daevid Vincent wrote:
> > > Anyways, sometimes I have stupid neighbors who don't quite "get it"
> > > and will just blindly let their computers connect to my WAP. UGH!
> > > They sit on it for hours and days and generally piss me off.
> > >
> > > How can I boot someone off my network? I usually add them to my
> > > shorewall blacklist file, and then:
> >
> > You run dhcp? Just exclude that MAC address from getting a lease.
> >
> > No IP address = no route = problem solved
> >
> > For a second level of teach-them-a-lessonness, iptables has a 'mac'
> > extension. Use that to match the MAC address and DROP all patches in
> > your outgoing firewall FORWARD chain
>
> Better yet.. redirect them to a (random) page that shows everything
> about cats.
>
> I read this one from google.

Since you mention Google, I remember reading about a NASA style AP
authentication which may be of interest to the OP:

Essentially you run a web server with SSL authentication so that only users
who authenticate with user name/passwd that you have provided, are issued
with an IP address by your dhcp server.  In this way you can control who's
using your bandwidth; what they use it for; e.g. only mail; or mail & http;
etc.  If you are interested in providing this as a service then you issue
usernames/passwds to applicants via email.  Additionally, you can run QoS and
throttle http, or bitorrent (ab)users, a proxy caching server, and what not.

PS. Where I live I have to pay for bandwidth (although where I currently work
I don't).  So your concept of offering bandwidth for free seems somewhat
strange to me.  Furthermore, I would be concerned what different people may
be using the Internet for and what trouble I could get into, for being the
registered owner of the particular public IP address.  That said, I would
looove being your neighbor!  :)
--
Regards,
Mick