On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 01:00:17PM -0400, Penguin Lover Mark Shields
squawked:
> On 10/18/07, Chuanwen Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> A message body would help ;)

Mark, I think this problem is on your end possibly. I got the
following message just okay.

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 11:54:36PM +0800, Penguin Lover Chuanwen Wu squawked:
> I have a sound problem with my dell1400 laptop: I have no sound from
> the speakers in the laptop but I can have sound from headphones after
> I insert them.
>
> When I used $alsamixer -V all, I got these informations:
>
> Card: HDA Intel
> ???
> Chip: SigmaTel STAC9228
> ???
> ???
> Item: Master [dB gain=-33.75, -33.75]
> Item: PCM [dB gain=-10.00, -10.00]
> Item: Front [dB gain=-45.00, -47.25]
> Item: Mic as Output
> Item: IEC958
> Item: ADCMux
> Item: InMux [dB gain=30.00, 30.00]
>   Item: InVol [dB gain=16.50, 16.50]
>
> As you can see, Mic and IEC958's values are both 0.
>
> I always think that headphones are equal with speakers, because  them
> are both connected to the same thing in physics.
> But now, why my headphones are aloud but my speakers are silent.
> In Windows xp, both of them work very well. Headphones were after I
> insert them and otherwise, the speakers loud .
>
> How to fix this problem?
> Thanks in advanced!

Chuanwen: Personally I have never encountered a situation where on a
laptop the volume control etc. is different between the attached
speakers and headphones. I've always assumed (someone correct me if I
am wrong) that the switching between headphones and the attached
speakers is hardware and not software. If that is the case then you
might have a hardware issue.

On the other hand, I am not sure how to read your alsamixer output.
Perhaps post output from 'amixer'?

"Rome wasn't burned in a day. "
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 314 days, 16:24