Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:04:59 -0400
> Willie Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Chuanwen: Personally I have never encountered a situation where on a
> > laptop the volume control etc. is different between the attached
> > speakers and headphones. I've always assumed (someone correct me if
> > I am wrong) that the switching between headphones and the attached
> > speakers is hardware and not software.
>
> This is true; the headphone jacks usually have an integrated
> disconnect switch for the internal laptop speakers, to be tripped
> when a plug is inserted.

It's apparently no longer true, at least for newish Intel HDA
chipsets.  Mine (SigmaTel STAC9872AK) would not switch off the internal
speakers when the jack was plugged in, so sound would come from both
the headphones and the speakers.  A recent patch to the driver fixed
this.

Sorry this doesn't help the OP any.