On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:28:16 +0100
Stroller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 24 Oct 2007, at 15:41, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
> > Simple home APs act just like that, no address for configs or
> > anything, just a bridge to another network. These devices have no
> > config at all, they simply create an SSID with no encryption to a
> > wired network.

I had a belkin AP that I think was like this.  The windows-only control
program (wasn't running wine at the time) was a big reason I will
probaby never buy one again.  Once you build a real router, you never
go back...

> > What he got is a WIRELESS ROUTER that acts like an Access Point,
> > providing a gateway and forwarding, linked to another router...
>
> Where do you find this particular definition of an "access point"?
> I would have believed the expression "wireless access point" to
> include either class of device within its definition.

I agree.  I think 'AP' has come to mean, perhaps a trifle informally,
simply a device to allow wireless access to a wired network.