Florian Philipp wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 18:13 -0600, Dale wrote:
>
>> Florian Philipp wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, here it goes:
>>>
>>> I think we could need a better support for binary packages.
>>> There was a thread in here a few months ago about how to offer binary
>>> packages for customers. As far as I remember the problem was (and still
>>> is) that there is no easy way to check the packages for corruption
>>> (trojans, stuff like that).
>>>

>> I know some things are only available as a binary but Gentoo is about
>> compiling your own packages.  Binaries are for Redhat, Mandrake and
>> such.  I moved away from that for good reason.
>>

> As far as I know Gentoo is all about choice. Shouldn't the user have the
> choice to use binary packages? Maybe his/her laptop doesn't stand the
> thermal output of its CPU when emerging or maybe he/she's the
> administrator of a large company's network, trying to move every
> computer system to Gentoo.
>
> If you want Gentoo to grow and prosper, you must accept that there are
> people who don't want or are not able to compile every piece of software
> but still want to use Gentoo.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> -Florian Philipp

That is when you compile it on another machine then install it on the
laptop.  The -K option comes to mind here.

I also think that the "choice" is in what you install as far as programs
and the options they have available.  Gentoo is Linux from Scratch with
a serious package manager.  "Choice" is not about having binaries or
not.  Also keep in mind that if a binary has something compiled in that
you don't want or need, you are stuck with it and its dependencies.  If
you compile your own, you have choices.  This and dependency he** is why
I switched from Mandrake, now known as Mandriva or something like that.

My two cents.

Dale