Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 03:44:55 -0600, Dale wrote:
>

>> That is when you compile it on another machine then install it on the
>> laptop.  The -K option comes to mind here.
>>

> Which is what I think the OP was talking about. If you install one of the
> *-bin packages from portage, you are protected by the checksums in the
> ebuild digest. But if you create a binary package repository, there is
> currently no means of applying the same protection. So if you are
> administering machines at different locations and want to keep a single
> binary package repository so you only build once (remember, production
> servers may not have gcc installed), there is no means of checking that
> the downloaded package has not been tampered with. This protection
> applies to ebuilds and distfiles but cannot be applied to packages you
> build yourself.

But he was responding to me mentioning Redhat and Mandrake which are
binary based.  Maybe I took his original point wrong.

>> I also think that the "choice" is in what you install as far as programs
>> and the options they have available.  Gentoo is Linux from Scratch with
>> a serious package manager.  "Choice" is not about having binaries or
>> not.  Also keep in mind that if a binary has something compiled in that
>> you don't want or need, you are stuck with it and its dependencies.
>>

> This is not about precompiled packages from a distro. Portage already has
> the mechanism for "build once, install many", it is just lacking some of
> the safeguards at the install stage that are present for the build stage.

True, but I was comparing to distros that are binary based not that you
compile yourself.  Again, the Redhat and Mandrake type of thing.

I wish I had a laptop sometimes.  Then sometimes I'm glad I have my
desktop.

Dale

:-)  :-)