I have checked, and ndiswrapper and  the rtl8187 package were uninstalled.
I think that the problem I have may be more basic.

The card I have is an 8197, not an 8187.  I wonder if this is part of the
problem.  Could it be that the kernel driver does not support the 8197?

The attached weblink suggests that this may be the case:
http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/blog/2007/09/26/no-more-vista/

Does anyone know how I can locate the equivalent code in the kernel and
perhaps perform a similar modification?

Thanks

Jeff