On Thursday 20 December 2007, Stroller wrote:
> I haven't done much digging yet, but thought a quick show of hands
> here might save some time. It looks like the SCSI hot-swap / RAID
> controller uses an AMI / LSI MegaRAID driver which is (?) part of the
> main kernel - anyone know if that does status updates (dead-hard
> drives &c) to the syslog? Does it depend on any userland utilities
> that are only available as RPM or whatever?
I maintain a few Poweredges, I think mostly 2950.  Just yesterday we swapped a
drive on the Fusion MPT SAS controller.  We were prompted to take the drive
out of service by an email from 'smartd'.  I couldn't find any evidence of
bad sectors or I/O timeouts in /var/log/messages, so this must be the SMART
prefailure it purported to be in the email.  In /etc/smartd.conf I use:
DEVICESCAN -H -l error -l selftest -t -I 194 -W 5,45,48 -R 5 -R 194 -R 231 -m
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

After failing and removing the drive from the array using 'mdadm', we tried
hotswapping the drive, and whilst nothing untoward happened when we pulled
the drive there were no kernel messages either.  I was expecting something
similar to when I've hotplugged SATA drives on my desktop machine.  We had to
reboot the server to get it to see the replacement drive.  Perhaps there's
some /proc/ or /sys/ setting to trigger a rescan of the SCSI bus, but I
couldn't find it.

Other than those oddities the drive swap went well.

Cheers,
  Steve.