On Thursday 20 December 2007, Stroller wrote:
> > ... I was expecting something
> > similar to when I've hotplugged SATA drives on my desktop machine.
>
> What controller is in that, please?
>
> Does it do hardware RAID, or is it just a regular SATA controller?
I've done it using both the onboard controllers: nVidia nForce4 CK804 SATA,
and Silicon Image SiI 3114.  They both claim RAID but I'm sure it's done by
the driver in both cases.

> stated that SATA controllers are not _required_ to support hot-
> plugging, either. This makes choosing an SATA more complicated, of
Eek!  Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've swapped the SATA drive from my laptop to
my desktop and back quite a few times without an issue.  Friends have
hotplugged their drives into this machine too many times with no ill effects.
We plug the power into the drive first, then once it's spun up insert the
SATA data cable.