On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 20:41 +0000, Paul Stear wrote:

> I am using ext2 on the usb backup disk. I'm not sure if I understand you
> correctly. What do you mean by Use --one-file-system ?

RTM :)

"This tells rsync to avoid crossing a filesystem boundary when
recursing.  This does not limit the user's ability to specify items to
copy from multiple filesystems"

so if you rsync / with --one-file-system then only whats on the mount /
will be copied.  ie. if you booted with a rescue disk and just mounted
your root fs, what would you see?  You can still specify multiple FSs to
rsync and -x as well.

HTH,