Am Mittwoch, 2. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Thufir:

> Well, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able read the disc from the
> cdrw drive, but the cdrom drive is odd.  Works from fedora, but in Gentoo
> cycles through:  spin up, pause, spin up, forever.  Even ctrl-c didn't
> kill it, had to reboot:

Since I never had a problem like this, I can't help you with this.

However, if I had to guess, I would eventually look at hdparm settings, or
even cables.

Just out of curiosity: What if you boot from a LiveCD (like Knoppix or GRML
or even the Gentoo LiveCD) in cdrw1, can you then read another disc from
cdrom1?

Bye...

        Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs          | Tel:  +49 (0)162 234 3408
Configuration Manager   | Fax:  +49 (0)211 47068 111